Thursday, April 11, 2013

Life....

Above: This is what I can make my life look like in pictures sometimes.
Below:  A story about what life is ACTUALLY like most times.


I was talking on the phone with Katie the other evening.  I was explaining that Grace was going through a challenging phase. Then I got off the phone, and a few minutes later had to call Katie back to explain to her exactly what “challenging” had just looked like.  This is basically what I told her.
I had taken Grace to the bathroom every 20 minutes for the last hour.  She did not once use the toilet.  We went outside.  I was on the phone.  A few minutes later, I see that while she is sitting outside under the neighbors front steps, she has mud all over her upper lip.  How strange.  Then I watched her pick up a plastic orange cup filled with dirt, bring it to her mouth and back down to her lap, and then begin chewing on something.
“Grace! Are you eating dirt?!?!”
“No, I’m drinking it.  And watching TV.  It’s my water.”
And sure enough, she was ingesting soil.  I grabbed her out of the dirt because what is cute at 9 months is not cute at 32.  On the way out of the dirt, I noticed she was also sitting in mud and had a bum covered in mud, but only in the spot where she would have just wet her pants.
Pee mud.   
Awesome.
So, Katie, that’s what I mean when I say challenging.