Thursday, July 15, 2010

Ruger. It's the dog's name.

"If you so much as set foot downtown, you will be sorry. I am in a prayer circle with the DA. I am a member of the NRA and I am always packin'."
"Whatchu packin'? .22? Little Saturday Night Special?"
"Yep. And it shoots just fine every other day of the week too."
-Blindside


A little .22 Ruger.
We named the dog after it.
The future dog, that is.
That is IF we ever have a dog, its name will be Ruger.
The trouble is, I don't really like dogs.

The smell, the hair, the....well I can think of a few more things I don't like about them, but lets keep this polite. The point is, RUGER is perhaps the coolest name for a dog EVER.
It reminds me of the fact that Paul wanted to name our first daughter Baretta. In similar fashion.
That idea was dismissed.
Immediately.
But it's a funny idea.
And FAR better/more appropriate than some of the other names my sweet Paul has come up with...
--------
An entire shooting excursion was planned this morning around this puppy right here.


My dad lent it to Paul for his birthday. He was happier than a dog at the duck pond.

Funny thing is, at 9:30 this morning, I got a phone call from the other side of the lake with a dissapointed confession that it had been left at home. I glanced up at the top shelf of the closet, and there it sat in all its weighty-ness.

I saved the day by driving it clear to the other side of the lake, where the motly crew met me at the car door with great enthusiasm. The entire way there I wondered how the conversation would go if I got pulled over.

Um, yes officer, I was speeding. You see, my husband needs this handgun I have sitting here on the front seat.
......
What does he need it for? Officer, com'mon. It's a Glock. Just SAYING it makes a man feel powerful. YOU know that.
......
Thank you officer, I knew you'd understand. I'm sure your wife would run out the door to bring you yours too.
......
Why yes, officer, I am. 37 weeks and 1 day. Just waiting to pop.
.......
I probably won't but I'm sure her daddy will teach her to shoot just as soon as he can.
......
You have a wonderful day too.


Upon arrival, I encountered "The Spread."
1 Rifle.
3 Shotguns.
2 Pistols.





As the hero of the day, I was honored with the first shot from the Glock.

I look like I am trying to shoot it and hide from it at the same time.
I am.


But I got more comfortable as the morning progressed.



Isn't he hott?




Happy Birthday, Paul. From me, my dad, AND Ruger, our future dog.


Maybe.


But whether he actually becomes a member of the family or not, his name is RUGER.


P.S. Does it surprise anyone that this is Paul's most recent, favorite song?
P.P.S. My mother would like it made perfectly clear that my dad purchased both a Ruger (though not the one featured here) AND the Glock for her. Which is a funny story that maybe she will grace us with on her blog one day.