Thursday, July 25, 2013

Body Image

A sleeping babe at the pool.
Last Saturday, we were getting ready to go swimming as a family and I looked at myself in the mirror while wearing my swimming suit and shouted, “Paul, I have a beautiful body.”  And a manly voice from the bathroom sink shouted, “Hell yeah, you do.”  (You’ll please pardon his emphatic response, he feels strongly about some things.)  And a little girl voice said from the living room, “And I have a beautiful body, too!  And Li-wian has a beautiful body.”   And that was a very proud moment. 


And for the record, I am not currently my most toned or thin or fit, though I am unusually tan.  I was just having one of those moments where I was comfortable in my own skin; grateful for its beauty and unapologetic of its scars.  I didn't see them except as puzzle pieces of a very beautiful and capable physical body.  And my children saw the same beauty in me and in themselves.  And I saw it in everyone else at the pool that day.  And that is good and that is right, I believe.